BACKGROUND

The Complainant moved to Slovenia from the UK in 2005, buying a house. A successful language student at school, he had no experience of Slavic or other Eastern European languages but expected to learn quickly.

The UK only has one official language: Welsh. The government is legally required to be able provide any service in Welsh, but is not required to provide it in English. It can be spoken by 19% of the population of Wales. The Complainant has never heard anyone speaking Welsh in the flesh.

Unlike Slovenia the UK does not have laws against advertising or showing films in foreign languages. You can open a shop or restaurant without being able to speak a word of English. Anybody who proposed it should be otherwise would be called a racist, and an unnecessary provocateur of inter-ethnic conflict and, in the opinion of the Complainant, rightly so.

No problems have been reported in this language free-for-all, which includes everything from Polish to Bangladeshi, except for Nazis occasionally attacking ethnic businesses. Nazis who would typically rank Mohamed's poor English highly in their list of grievances/justifications. The prejudiced might exercise their right not to patronise those businesses. Unless they are drunk and hungry in which case they will.

Since Brexit there are just two member states Ireland and Malta where English is the official language, forming just 1% of the total EU population. Brexit has not changed the ranking of English worldwide.

"The English language in Europe, as a native language, is mainly spoken in the United Kingdom and Ireland. Outside of these states, it has official status in Malta, the Crown dependencies (the Isle of Man, Jersey and Guernsey), Gibraltar and the Sovereign Base Areas of Akrotiri and Dhekelia (two of the British Overseas Territories). In the Kingdom of the Netherlands, English has an official status as a regional language on the isles of Saba and Sint Eustatius (located in the Caribbean)."

"According to a survey published in 2006, 13% of EU citizens speak English as their native language. Another 38% of EU citizens state that they have sufficient English skills to hold a conversation, so the total reach of English in the EU is 51%."
[1]